What is FIBRES exactly?
First, the one-liners: FIBRES is for intelligent collaboration on future trends and strategy. The software applies natural language processing technologies on written data masses to help the human users with trend tracking, strategic foresight and strategy execution.
Then, basically, it is a tool that helps you and your organization to build a better picture of your future and then do strategic decisions based on that. FIBRES suites different combination of work, should it be systematic and especially continuous.
Plan and execute your strategic roadmap in a simple way and connect the future related information to each strategic target or step. This can be a powerful way of communicating, why and what you are doing as a company or an organization.
Where does the content come from?
Two ways to approach, add them by yourself. In other words, save signals, trends and other future related information and discuss them with your network or team.
Other approach is to get connected with internal or external data sources, like trend and idea banks. Contact us and let’s see what content would serve you the best.
Can I get a free trial for my team?
Yes. We offer a single user version for free. This means you have the full current functionality of FIBRES for you try out first. Starting from your sign-up you also get an option to try FIBRES with your team, for 30 days without any extra cost. The 30-day period starts after when you invite other users in your own FIBRES. Before the end, we will contact you and we can set you up with the continuous plan with your team. Before this, we do not need or ask any payment details.
I work as a consultant/ in a consulting company. Can I use FIBRES with my customers?
Absolutely! We have a plan that enables you to use it with your customers, safely and securely. Contact us for more details! If you are interested on becoming a partner of ours, again, let’s have a chat.
How can I get the trend content provided by your partners?
We’ll set you up with the automatically updating contents from our partners. Contact us, and let’s talk! Currently, there is no option to ’click and buy’ just yet.
Can I invite other users myself?
If you have administrator rights, yes you can. Invitations can be sent under menu, and ’Users’.
EXPLAINERS FOR FIBRES USERS
Go on, have a look! Here are just a few simple explainers of how to use the software. Did not find what you were looking for? Don’t hesitate to contact us for more help and tips!
Use Web Clipper to create Signals with a few clicks
Did you find something that might have an effect on your business? An observation or a weak signal? Add it to your FIBRES and start the discussion with your colleagues.
- add a web clipper to your desktop browser: you’ll find it behind ‘Create’-button, named ‘Add to FIBRES’ (make sure you have the browser favourite/ bookmark toolbar visible, then drag the button on the toolbar)
- after that you are all set!
- then use the ‘Add to FIBRES’ -button to add new signals easy (for desktop use, newest versions of IE11, Chrome, Safari, Firefox)
See the video below.
Work with Signals, Signal Clusters and Trends
Whether the content of FIBRES is hand-picked by people or imported via integrations – they need that all-important sense-making and collaboration.
The different content types allows you to use the software as you want:
- use the ‘signal cluster’ to link signals together for signs of emerging trends
- use ‘trends’ to write up more analysed summaries.
Automated suggestions based on text and tags will help to find new relations and ideas.
- if you wish to link several already existing content, start by selecting them (check the item on the list), then choose ‘Link with…’ and either add them to a new one or search for an existing one
- if you wish to find suggestions for similar content based on a signal, just choose one signal and then choose ‘Find Similar’
- within any content use automated suggestions for related content
- remember to use and add the classifications for further evaluation purposes (this is how trends will show up in the radar visualization)
Filtering and sorting the content
To filter the content you have in your FIBRES, use the filtering options in Discover-section. It is a good tool to use while evaluating or starting to group similar items together.
- Find it in Discover (and also in Execution-section!)
- Filters are based on the type of content and, of course, on the impact assessment given, tags and even owners.
- Sorting is an option that allows you to arrange the content in specific order, perhaps by discussed first.
Analyse and evaluate content
With functions such as,
- use the classifications to evaluate the impact – you’ll find them inside each content
- within any signal clusters and trends use suggestions for classification values, based on the linked content’s values
- within any content use suggestions for related content, all content has the option for searching suggestions for linked signals, signal clusters or trends – these can be very handy for finding something new!
- Analyse-section is for randomized analysing purposes – you’ll get a trend or a signal cluster and suggestions for potential relations in randomized order
Workspaces for You and other FIBRES users
In case you want or need to work with the foresight content privately or with a specific group, the workspaces are meant for just that!
Use it to write up your own thoughts, or invite other FIBRES users to collaborate.
- work privately or invite other FIBRES users to join to your workspace
- add or remove any foresight content within FIBRES with a few clicks
- add any content directly via the signal’s, signal cluster’s or trend’s own page
- engage discussion – invite other FIBRES users
- simple user rights – either view and comment only or with editing rights to your workspace
Find your trend network in ‘Network’-section. This visualisation shows all the trends that are in your FIBRES environment. More data you have, more impressive it will look and offer more opportunities spot something new. Keep an eye out for the trends and signal clusters that are connected to build more relations….and ideas might arise from those crossing points…
- it supports the discovery work, one way to see which trends already have relations and which ones are still on the outer rims of the network
- see the points where trends share the same signals, the “halo” around the trend will indicate a number of signals connected to them
- visually see which trends have the most content connected to them
- weaker line shows underlying linkages between trends; this is something FIBRES automatically suggests for its users based on how many common links there are (for example trend 1 and trend 2 have the same ten signals linked to them, the line is visible)
Trend Radar is located in the ‘Radar’-section and is best used as a tool for having that discussion what usually takes place before strategic target setting. Use it just to visualise trends chosen to be the ones that have an impact on your business. It can serve as a communication tool in your organisation and show the impact and timeline expected.
- trends with classification values are visible on the radar
- shows trends based on their impact and timeline
- easy and simple tool for communicating the estimated future landscape for your business
Strategic Roadmap and Execution
A simple and practical way of planning and communicating annual strategic targets.
- add strategic vision like statements as targets
- connect foresight content to any target or fibre
- plan your steps to reach those
- add a simple hierarchy for strategic steps
- invite other users to discuss each target and step if needed
- use the ‘Execution’ view all targets and steps
Other features, such as followed items and newsletter
Stay up to date what’s happening with the content that you found interesting in FIBRES. Within in each item, like a trend perhaps, click the ‘follow’-symbol. After that
- you’ll see the followed items list on your home page
- opt-in to get a newsletter sent from FIBRES, letting you know when something has changed
- subscribe to followed items newsletter in your profile (you’ll find this behind the main menu)
- the newsletter is sent twice about the items you chose to follow, but haven’t seen (you won’t be spammed)
User rights explained
What can you do in FIBRES? The set of user rights are basic and we aim to keep them as simple as possible. FIBRES offers four different sets of user rights:
- Administrator: typically the person who is responsible for the foresight, or discovery process. The administrator can invite others to FIBRES, create, view, edit and comment, and also change ownership of a content (for example a trend). Admin can also change the name of the FIBRES environment if needed.
- Manager: might be a trend analyst or content writer in other ways. The manager can also create, view, edit and comment all content.
- Trend Scout: the main purpose is to add new signals. The trend scout can add and edit signals, and comment all the content in FIBRES. This set of user rights could be handy for a group of people that might just focus on finding new observations and market signals.
- Read Only: as the name says, no editing rights, only reading and commenting is possible.
Wondering how to invite others, or why trends aren’t showing on the radar? Below you’ll see a few questions with their answers.
How do I get content, like signals and trends, into FIBRES?
Basically, three ways: by saving and creating them manually, or 2) via integrations and our partners or 3) by connecting to your internal data sources.
First one is, of course, something you can just start doing by yourself. Use the ’Create’-button in-app or use the ’web clipper’ for a quick adding of signals to FIBRES. About 2 and 3, contact us, let’s talk and we’ll set you up with the written data masses.
I have saved some signals to FIBRES now, but not all of them have image or description with them, why is this?
This is a situation that can occur with some source pages. It happens because a certain set of information can’t be received from the source website.
Can I save a search list result from web to FIBRES?
Not at the moment. You can save individual pages, articles and other kinds of signs of signal though.
I have created trends now. How can I get them visible on the radar visualisation?
Trends will appear automatically on the visualisation when the classification values are selected. This information will place the trend in the sector.
The Trend Network visualisation looks great. What kind of stuff is actually shown there?
The network is your trend universe. All the trends and signal cluster will appear here, regardless if you have given them an assessment yet. Signals are not shown on the network.
On the edges of the map, the free-flowing ones are trends and signal clusters that don’t have any linkages to other trends or signal clusters. The ones showing lines between them depict their connections. You’ll also see halos around some them; this indicates the number of signals linked to them.
How do I link signals or trends together? How about another kind of content?
Depending on how you want to do this, open up any individual content, a trend for example. You’ll see tabs under the description field that say ’Signal clusters and Trends’. Here is where you can build linkages by adding new or removing older ones. Notice that, you can also add any content to workspaces that you have created yourself, or been invited to.
We recommend trying out the suggest-function too! That will bring up suggestions based on the content on the platform, helping to discover new kinds of connections between existing trends and signals.
I want to build a strategic roadmap. Where can I do that?
Navigate to Roadmap-section in FIBRES. Here is where you build your map. Start by giving each year a target, and perhaps use a vision statement showing what you are aiming to build.
Use the ’fibres’ to build a roadmap of your liking; it could be built by swim-lanes based on Business Units, must-win battles, expectations of growth or other kind styles or frameworks. Under each fibre, you can add a simple hierarchy too, in case you want to show more tangible steps for each strategic step.
The key point here is something that is not done by many others: connect each strategic target or step into your statements and believes what will happen in future. This is where foresight connects to strategy execution. A simple and effective way of communicating what you are building, and what futures trends drive that.
How do I see if I am an admin user?
If you can see ’Invite users’ in the ’Users’ –section, under the menu.
Can I hide some of the visible sections (like Roadmap or Execution)?
At the moment the sections that you wish not to use, can be hidden from the views. Contact us and we’ll hide the sections you don’t need in a few clicks! Currently it is a feature that is managed by us.