Welcome to the Resource Center
EXPLAINERS FOR FIBRES USERS
Go on, have a look! Here are just a few simple explainers of how to use the software. Did not find what you were looking for? Don’t hesitate to contact us for more help and tips!
Create a Signal
- add a simple web clipper for your desktop browser, you’ll find it from the home page, it’s called ‘Add to FIBRES’ (make sure you have the browser favourite/ bookmark toolbar visible, then drag the button on the toolbar)
- use the ‘Add to FIBRES’ -button to add new signals easy (for desktop use, newest versions of IE11, Chrome, Safari, Firefox)
- or add signals directly from web sources, using the ‘Create’ button in the software itself
- perhaps take a picture from a fair or convention, add it to FIBRES for further discussion via ‘Create’-button
- finally, connect signals to other signal groups or clusters and trends in Discovery
Here is a helper on how to add the ‘Add to FIBRES’ -button:
And here, how to use the ‘Add to FIBRES’ button:
Manage Signals, Signal Clusters and Trends
- if you wish to group several already existing content, start by selecting them (check the item on the list), then choose ‘Group Selected’ and either add them to a new one or search for an existing one
- if you wish to find suggestions for new grouping based on a signal, just choose one signal and then choose ‘Suggest Grouping’
- within any content use automated suggestions for related content
- remember to use and add the classifications for further analysing purposes (this is how trends will show up in the radar visualization)
Filtering and sorting the content
- Find it in Discovery (and also in Execution-section!)
- Filters are based on the type of content and, of course, on the classification given to signals and trends.
- Sorting is an option that allows you to arrange the content in specific order, perhaps by discussed first.
Here is a short video showing how to use filters and sorting options.
- within any signal clusters and trends use suggestions for classification values, based on the linked content’s values
- within any content use suggestions for related content, all content has the option for searching suggestions for linked signals, signal clusters or trends – these can be very handy for finding something new!
- Analysis-section is for randomized analysing purposes – you’ll get a trend or a signal cluster and suggestions for potential relations in randomized order
Workspaces for You and other FIBRES users
- work privately or invite other FIBRES users to join to your workspace
- add or remove any foresight content within FIBRES with a few clicks
- add any content directly via the signal’s, signal cluster’s or trend’s own page too via Workspaces-tab
- engage discussion – invite other FIBRES users
- simple user rights – either view and comment only or with editing rights to your workspace
Find your trend network in ‘Foresight’-section. This visualisation shows all the trends that are in your FIBRES environment. More data you have, more impressive it will look and offer more opportunities spot something new. Keep an eye out for the trends and signal clusters that are connected to build more relations….and ideas might arise from those crossing points…
- it supports the discovery work, one way to see which trends already have relations and which ones are still on the outer rims of the network
- see the points where trends share the same signals, the “halo” around the trend will indicate a number of signals connected to them
- visually see which trends have the most content connected to them
Trend Radar is located in the ‘Insights’-section and is best used as a tool for having that discussion what usually takes place before strategic target setting. Use it just to visualise trends chosen to be the ones that have an impact on your business. It can serve as a communication tool in your organisation and show the impact and timeline expected.
- trends with classification values are visible on the radar
- shows trends based on their impact and timeline
- easy and simple tool for communicating the estimated future landscape for your business
Strategic Roadmap and Execution
- add strategic vision like statements as targets
- connect foresight content to any target or fibre
- plan your steps to reach those
- add a simple hierarchy for strategic steps
- invite other users to discuss each target and step if needed
- use the ‘Execution’ view all targets and steps
Other features, such as followed items and newsletter
- you’ll see the followed items list on your home page
- opt-in to get a newsletter sent from FIBRES, letting you know when something has changed
- subscribe to followed items newsletter in your profile (you’ll find this behind the main menu)
- the newsletter is sent twice about the items you chose to follow, but haven’t seen (you won’t be spammed)
User rights explained
- Administrator: typically the person who is responsible for the foresight, or discovery process. The administrator can invite others to FIBRES, create, view, edit and comment, and also change ownership of a content (for example a trend). Admin can also change the name of the FIBRES environment if needed.
- Manager: might be a trend analyst or content writer in other ways. The manager can also create, view, edit and comment all content.
- Trend Scout: the main purpose is to add new signals. The trend scout can add and edit signals, and comment all the content in FIBRES. This set of user rights could be handy for a group of people that might just focus on finding new observations and market signals.
- Read Only: as the name says, no editing rights, only reading and commenting is possible.
Wondering how to invite others, or why trends aren’t showing on the radar? Below you’ll see a few questions with their answers.
Getting things started
What is FIBRES exactly?
Then, basically, it is a tool that helps you and your organization to build a better picture of your future. It will help organizations to work with future related information and plan their strategies. For the whole combination to work, work should be systematic and continuous. Store signals, trends and other future related information and discuss them with your network or team. Plan and execute your strategic roadmap in a simple way and connect the future related information to each strategic target or step. This can be a powerful way of communicating, why and what you are doing as a company or an organization.
Can I get a free trial for my team?
I work as a consultant/ in a consulting company. Can I use FIBRES with my customers?
How can I get the trend content provided by your partners?
Can I invite other users myself?
How do I see if I am an admin user?
How do I get content, like signals and trends, into FIBRES?
First one is, of course, something you can just start doing by yourself. Use the ’Create’-button in-app or use the ’web clipper’ for a quick adding of signals to FIBRES. About 2 and 3, contact us, let’s talk and we’ll set you up with the written data masses.
I have saved some signals to FIBRES now, but not all of them have image or description with them, why is this?
Can I save a search list result from web to FIBRES?
I have created trends now. How can I get them visible on the radar visualisation?
The Trend Network visualisation looks great. What kind of stuff is actually shown there?
On the edges of the map, the free-flowing ones are trends and signal clusters that don’t have any linkages to other trends or signal clusters. The ones showing lines between them depict their connections. You’ll also see halos around some them; this indicates the number of signals linked to them.
How do I link signals or trends together? How about another kind of content?
Depending on how you want to do this, open up any individual content, a trend for example. You’ll see tabs under the description field that say ’Signal clusters and Trends’. Here is where you can build linkages by adding new or removing older ones. Notice that, you can also add any content to workspaces that you have created yourself, or been invited to.
We recommend trying out the suggest-function too! That will bring up suggestions based on the content on the platform, helping to discover new kinds of connections between existing trends and signals.
I want to build a strategic roadmap. Where can I do that?
Use the ’fibres’ to build a roadmap of your liking; it could be built by swim-lanes based on Business Units, must-win battles, expectations of growth or other kind styles or frameworks. Under each fibre, you can add a simple hierarchy too, in case you want to show more tangible steps for each strategic step.
The key point here is something that is not done by many others: connect each strategic target or step into your statements and believes what will happen in future. This is where foresight connects to strategy execution. A simple and effective way of communicating what you are building, and what futures trends drive that.